Friday, November 22, 2013

An interrupted introduction

I've been reading this book on writing and designing for games. This book offers practical discussions, methods,  and solutions of how to integrate game design and story so that they work together. This is something that I find particularly challenging, so I'll be going over some exercises to help me focus and narrow down ideas for prepro.

Action Item (Alpha) - Play a game
"Within the next day, make time to sit down and play a game, preferably a console title. Give yourself at least a half hour. When you are done, write a brief summary of the experience."


I played Lost Odyssey for about 45 minutes (skip for spoilers). I had last left off in a very emotional part in which Mack and Cooke's mother died. It included a mini-game in which you hear the prayers of people close to them and you have to light up torches by matching their movements. It gets progressively sad as both kids have to finalize letting go off their mother by using their torches to burn the last rope pieces tying back her coffin; letting her float freely in the ocean...

Everything hurts so much

Needless to say, I bawled my eyes out as I watched Mack hesitate and look at his mother's face one last time before letting her go. They run as far as they can on the pier to see her off. The scenes following that only caused me to cry even more.

When I picked it back up, I had to chase after Mack, who had run off to the FORBIDDEN Crimson Forest. With Cooke as my new party member, I re-arranged my set skills so that my immortals could learn from her and fixed up everyone's equipment. Jansen provides the party and audience with some humor to lighten the mood (thanks for existing, Jansen).

But hahA just a few minutes later or running around and Kaim recalls a memory that was locked deep within his heart; Portraitist of the Dead. 



Now, the player can choose to skip these and keep on moving (same with the cutscenes really but uh) I'm a big glutton for story and I adore the dreams. This particular dream wasn't quite as sad as some others, but gave more information on the cultural aspects of the world.

I still got rather teary eyed. This game is packed with so many sad stories from so many different characters. All of these memories that Kaim unlocks little by little give more depth to the usually stoic face that we see. This game is incredibly upsetting, but it knows how to tone it down and subtly bring you back some cheer. Truly a game for those more interested in stories and worldbuilding than anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment